Have you visited all the best hookup sites and now want to try one of the numerous dating apps? Don’t hurry up! There are lots of hot debates about whether dating apps kill love. We can’t deny that the swipe-right mentality has taken over today’s world. But is it a good or bad thing? Should we use dating apps? Are they a proper setup for a healthy relationship?
We’ve decided to dive deeper and explore this topic in depth. In this post, we’ll discuss the advantages and drawbacks of app-based dating and find out whether they are good for you.
Do Dating Apps Kill The Romance?
There is no simple answer to this question. On the one hand, our priorities have shifted a lot over time, for instance, flowers on the first date were replaced by the casual “U up?” But did the feeling of romance and love really change? Romance is when you’re preoccupied with a person and feel away from everyday life, remote from reality. You think and care about your beloved one so much that everything else melts away. So, in terms of feelings and emotions, nothing has changed. We bring a lot of science and technology to our lives, but as for love none of those seems to work.
On the other hand, nowadays we take things slow, we live alone longer and get married later in life. Besides, modern tools like dating apps make us more modest and even awkward when we express our interest and ask someone out. It’s often just a text that says, “What’s up?” which is not romantic at all.
To summarize, dating apps haven’t killed a romance in terms of feelings, but, to some extent, they make us less romantic
Online Dating Apps Pros and Cons
● The majority of relationships start online – we live in a digital age and spend lots of time online. There are so many dating apps and social sites, therefore, the chances to meet the best match and build relationships are high. On top of that, we all know or hear so many dating apps success stories from married couples that met online!
● Dating apps feature convenient matching algorithms – you don’t have to sit through awkward blind dates anymore. Up-to-date dating apps use personality tests to help users to find their best match.
● People can connect globally – it means that chances are to meet people you would never have crossed paths with. Dating apps open the dating world for us, our choices are no longer limited to people who are near us – schoolmates, co-workers, neighbors, etc. Thus, if you’re interested in a particular orientation, type, or lifestyle, dating apps give you access to more potential partners.
● Dating apps can make real-life dating safer – lots of people prefer to communicate online prior to meeting a person. It increases safety.
● We judge people after just looking at their photos or reading a short bio – it’s one of the biggest drawbacks while using dating apps. We unintentionally judge people without any concentrated reasons when swiping right or left.
● Not everyone you meet in dating apps is single – there are lots of married people who are having fun outside their marriages on the dating apps.
● It’s easy to play with someone’s emotions and feelings – you may have an instant connection with someone and can even develop feelings for this person, but he/she can disappear at any time without any explanations. However, let’s face it, such a situation can happen to real-life daters too.
● Dating apps may promote a culture of casual sex – with dating apps, casual sex is often just a few clicks away. While for some people it’s fun and convenient, for others dating apps may seem thorny places with no chances to find a deeper, long-term relationship or true love.
● False profiles with fake information – unfortunately, we can be targeted by scammers, predators, or felons. By creating false profiles, they look for vulnerable individuals to victimize. So, it’s vital to always remember dating apps safety rules. Never give your personal data to anybody and stop communicating with a person as soon as you notice something suspicious.
Like any other thing in the world, dating apps have their advantages and disadvantages. However, let’s remember that we live in a fast-paced world where time is money, where we work much more than 8 hours a day, where we have hundreds of other things to do. But still, we want to find a soulmate or a partner, and dating apps increase our chances of meeting the right person. Such apps give us great opportunities, and we are responsible for our results and outcomes.
Rebecca Shinn is a freelance writer and dating and relationship expert with a psychology degree. Her field of expertise is relationship, dating, and marriage. The important part of Rebecca’s practice is to help couples with communication skills, problem-solving skills, stress management, or financial skills.
Rebecca started writing 2 years ago to inspire and help people to have a better dating life, healthy relationships, or find a way to keep a marriage strong for long years.
With all said above, Rebecca is proud to be a mother and a wife so she doesn’t only use her knowledge for helping others but keeping her family strong and happy.